Author Topic: fixreleasenames question.  (Read 11676 times)

Offline bobtongue

• Prolific Indexer
  • Helpful: +7/-0
  • Wherever you go, There you are!
fixreleasenames question.
« on: 2015-08-02, 03:11:43 PM »
Are the releases being matched to predb during update releases? If so, is it still necessary to rum fixRelNames_predbft after the fact? I never seem to see any release names being changed during this step and it takes an awful lot of time and performance to run. Just wondering.

Offline martymonster

• Junior Indexer
  • Helpful: +0/-0
Re: fixreleasenames question.
« Reply #1 on: 2015-12-09, 08:50:59 PM »
Does anyone have an answer for this?
It scans and scans and scans.

Does it scan the whole predb database?

What does it actually do?

ruhllatio

« Reply #2 on: 2015-12-14, 01:10:09 PM »
What PreDB FT does is one by one goes through your PreDB database and does a full text search against releases.name and releases.searchname columns looking for an exact match.  This is actually pretty fast, when compared to using a LIKE or a REGEXP.  If you have Sphinx, it should also check the release_files.name column as well and a lot faster to boot.  The slow part, it seems is finding an eligible PreDB title to search once you've already searched through your whole DB.  It could be better, but I haven't really optimized it yet.  We do check for a PreDB title match on release insertion, but depending upon the way the release name was uploaded, the regex we use to extract that information may not catch all of it or too much.  It's usefulness is a lot more reasonable with a larger DB, but I digress.

Offline bobtongue

• Prolific Indexer
  • Helpful: +7/-0
  • Wherever you go, There you are!
« Reply #3 on: 2015-12-18, 06:58:04 AM »
I have had to turn off fixreleasenames for now. The predbft is killing my system. Load averages go to almost 10 on a dual core machine. The unfortunate part is that its just predbft and not the other mechanisms. But there is no way to just stop predbft from running and let the others continue. I thought there was an option at one time for what mechanisms you wanted to allow fixreleasenames to use, but it seems to be just on and off now. It would be useful to be able to choose, or is that obsolete now? Is fixreleasenames itself obsolete?

ruhllatio

« Reply #4 on: 2016-02-06, 08:32:01 AM »
You could always just put an exit; in the PreDBFT function in NameFixer or something.  TBH, it probably shouldn't be part of the loop.  It's best run as a separate process as a kind of full pre lookup.  I have a shell script that does this more or less every so often to catch stuff that was left behind.

Offline hanshansen

• Decent Indexer
  • Helpful: +1/-0
« Reply #5 on: 2016-08-17, 04:45:16 AM »
I just stumbled across this thread. I have the same problem, fixRelNames_predbft uses a lot of resources on my system. It runs 16 times in each cycle and it seems to do nothing, or at least most of the time.

Does it actually go through the complete predb table again and again? Wouldn't it be enough to run it once a day or every few hours with a cronjob? If so, how do I disable it running in tmux?