Author Topic: IIS install doesn't pre-flight  (Read 3999 times)

Offline voyager55

• Helpful: +0/-0
IIS install doesn't pre-flight
« on: 2015-02-06, 08:05:42 pm »
Hey everyone!

I am having a bit of a problem with my attempt to install nZEDb on IIS. I'll post my rationale for choosing IIS in a follow-up post, but I'm attempting to install nZEDb on Windows Server 2008 / IIS7.0. The install guide written here (https://github.com/nZEDb/nZEDb/wiki/Windows-IIS-with-FastCGI) seems to apply to this earlier version with the sole difference being that the Microsoft Web Platform needs to be downloaded separately (all the listed add-ons install correctly, though). I followed the guide as carefully as I could, and got to the first page of the pre-flight check. When I clicked the "Go To Step One" button, however, it doesn't actually progress beyond the intro page. I thought that that was a bit strange, but assumed it was a simple PEBKAC error. So, I pulled out my copy of VMWare Player and did the same thing...only to find the exact same thing happen again. Here are the things I have tried thus far:

1.) Rebooted. Repeatedly.
2.) Did the windows equivalent of "sudo chmod 777 -R" to the c:\inetpub directory, and verify that it took effect all the way down.
3.) Looked through the IIS logs. No listed failures that I recognized.
4.) Tried different browsers - IE, Chrome, Firefox, and Opera 12 all did the exact same thing.
5.) As stated earlier, did a ground-up rebuild.

I'm open to suggestions; please let me know if there are any relevant log files or similar that I can provide.

Thank you for your assistance. Also, I apologize for posting this thread after asking in IRC. Annoyingly, Windows decided to install SP2 while I was asleep, so to anyone who responded to me in the channel, I didn't see it, and again, I'm sorry in that regard.

Offline voyager55

Re: IIS install doesn't pre-flight
« Reply #1 on: 2015-02-06, 08:30:01 pm »
One of the obvious questions to ask would be, "Why are you using IIS on an old copy of Windows Server, especially when Linux is much better suited to the task??"
This is a very good question. Here are the reasons I have...

First and foremost, this indexer is more of a "pet project". It's a learning experience, and an attempt to expand my technological horizons. Courtesy of Webmin and Ajenti, I'm pretty comfortable installing and configuring Apache and LAMP-based applications. I'm no expert; I certainly couldn't write out an httpd.conf file by hand, but amusingly, I find myself more comfortable with Apache than I do with IIS. I considered this exercise to be a learning opportunity - even if it is simply following a tutorial, I do my best to 'explore the scenery' once I've got something up and running. nZEDb seems like a good candidate for this purpose.

Next, courtesy of my college days, I happen to have a copy of Windows Server 2008 lying around. As luck would have it, the hardware I intend to run it on is of a similar vintage. While the tutorial implies a Windows 8.x foundation, the IIS limitations on the desktop OSes means that it's helpful to have a 'full' Windows Server install.

I'm interested in seeing how IIS's performance is affected as the amount of API calls increase, and how well Windows and MariaDB can work together in a case like this. Similarly, I'm interested in comparing the performance of Windows and IIS to a LAMP stack.

Thus, while I appreciate whatever direction or assistance that is willing to be provided, I do understand that this is a 'pet project' thing that I need to keep poking at, and that those who are capable of troubleshooting likely have bigger fish to fry. No harm, no foul...I don't plan on bumping the thread, but it's here, just in case :-)

Offline kevin123

• Overlord
  • Helpful: +49/-0
Re: IIS install doesn't pre-flight
« Reply #2 on: 2015-02-08, 04:27:24 am »
I'd suggest turning on logging in php and check those. Also look at this guide, see if it has anything that IIS guide misses: https://github.com/nZEDb/nZEDb/wiki/Install-Guide:-Windows

Offline voyager55

Getting Warmer
« Reply #3 on: 2015-02-18, 05:29:13 pm »
Hey Kevin!

I took a look in the PHP log like you said. Side note, IIS has a whole subsection for PHP stuff that's really awesome, so that was great to learn. Turned out that what was happening, was that it was trying to write a session token to, I believe, c:\inetpub\www\nzedb\resources\tmp\sessions, except that folder didn't exist, and there didn't see to be an "IF folder.exist=false THEN create new.folder" that functioned in this environment.\

Now, it gets to the MySQL configuration page, but doesn't seem to want to go past that. I suspect that it may have something to do with the fact that I completely forgot the MySQL root password.

Thanks, I'll keep everyone apprised of my findings, in the event that some other person is as strange as I am and wants to follow in my IIS footsteps.